Monday, September 13, 2010

BP8_Voki





Check out my Voki!!!

The Web 2.0 tool that I chose to research this week was www.Voki.com.  This is a website that allows you to create an avatar that is completely customizable.  They can be used for just about anything that you can think of.  You can choose an avatar from cartoons, classics, political figures, and even animals.  After selecting an avatar, you can customize even further.  You can change the skin color, hairstyle and color, eye color, lip style and color, and much more. There is even an option to add bling to your avatar, which is simply accessorizing.  You can wear glasses, carry a purse, pose in front of a car, and so much more.  They offer several backgrounds for you to choose from.  Once you have finished customizing your avatar, you can add voice to it.  You can do this via telephone, typing text, microphone, or adding a pre-recorded file.  It's a very easy to use site, and best of all it's free!

I am extremely excited about what this tool could be used for in my classroom.  I hope that you enjoy watching and listening to my Voki, as I have used it to express my thoughts and ideas.  One thing that I did not include in my message is that Voki will soon offer an educational site. This site promises to be ad free, and will have teacher friendly features that other sites offer.  You will be able to register for 1 license, and list all of your students under the umbrella of 1 account.  Unfortunately, however, this site will not be free like the public site.  Still, I am very interested to see what it has to offer.  It has not yet been released, but I did sign up to receive an email when the site goes live.  Hopefully that will be very soon.  

Again, I hope you enjoy listening to my Voki tell you about all of the exciting possibilities for using Voki.com in your classroom!

1 comment:

  1. Voki is really cool. I learned about Voki this year at a technology workshop. This year I wanted to try to present some of my lessons through an Avatar. I wanted to see what kind of reaction I would get from my students. I haven't done it yet but I will soon. I was going to use Second Life. This give me another option. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete