Monday, September 20, 2010

Week3 Practical Experience_Post 1

For this experience, I had the hardest time deciding what to do.  I kept thinking that I should do something that was relevant, and something that I could see myself using successfully in my classroom.  After several days, and about 25,000 parent conferences, I decided to find a wiki site that I could begin using.  My students parents have been in such an uproar about the blog site that I needed to change things up a bit.  I'm not really sure that they will be any more receptive to a wiki, nor do I really care.  My concern is that the children are safely, responsibly using the internet.  I'm expecting a backlash, but there is really nothing that I can do about that.

So without further delay, my practical experience this week was with a great site, www.wikispaces.com.  I chose this site because it offers a private label site that is closed to the outside world, and I thought it would help my parents become a little more at ease.  I looked at wetpaint.com, but I can hear someone complaining about the fact that their are advertisements on the page that I am not able to control.  I have used pbworks.com in the past, and I just don't find it to be very user friendly at all.  I'm also hoping that I will be able to use this in my classroom to help facilitate book clubs and literature circles.  It may even help with my AR project, if I chose to go down that path.

I have signed up for a free 30 day trial of the private label site, and begun watching tutorials.  I have learned so far the basics of navigation and administration on the page.  I will continue with adding pages, templates, etc., and I plan to share the link to my wiki in my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment