Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 2 Reading


This article was about successful implementation of digital storytelling in a Kentucky school.  The director of technology was very ambitious in her program, and it made me hopeful.   Moreso than just helping with my action research, she really inspired me to continue down the path I am on.  My ultimate goal is to teach teachers and empower them to empower our students.  The students did very well, and were able to produce amazing digital stories to represent several things that they learned throughout the program.  The program itself integrated many of the principles of problem based learning, which I found very refreshing.


This study focused on using digital storytelling with gifted children.  It was a great way to keep the students engaged and still allow them to think outside the box, so to speak.  The thing that I identified the most with in this study was the part where she talks about the mistakes she made. She specifically mentioned that she ignored some of the components of a great digital story when she gave her students instructions and how it drastically affected the result.  This reminded me that I really need to take into account that all components of the process are equally important. Not giving them proper attention will affect my results.


The focus of this study was using Second Life, a virtual world, in conjunction with storytelling.  It added a new dimension to the process that I had honestly never thought about using before.  I especially loved that the author of the study used it for literary analysis of a poem.  It really brought to light how subjective interpretation of that genre of writing can be.  I found that one of the biggest keys to the success of this initiative was the amount of time they spent planning exactly what they wanted to say or do.  This was key in helping the students find their voice and truly express themselves.


This article stresses the importance of mastering the art of digital storytelling, and how key in can be in developmental education.  One of the biggest points that I took away from reading this article is that digital storytelling offers students the opportunity to become owners of the learning.  Often reluctant students really enjoy having the creative power to express themselves in a non-ttraditional manner.  I think this tool would be wonderful to use in a classroom of students who may not always actively participate in class.  It would be interesting to see if the prospect of being in charge of the content motivated them more and increased the level of comprehension and retention.



No comments:

Post a Comment